Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Amethyst-chan's Day on Bon Odori, part 3

Today we conclude Amethyst-chan’s Day on Bon Odori series. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I have!

Traveling back home, I stumbled across others as they were talking: there was another show in town.  They mentioned it was Okamisan and another shinzo from the Yukaku Ryukin.  My ears perked up in excitement as I rushed to where they were performing as I wanted to see my Okamisan perform again.  Quickly gathering my kimono, I strayed towards the place they would perform.

Here is where it got complicated; the directions were tricky since it was dark at this time. Barely could see my hand in front of me. As I proceeded closer to the sea, I could hear loud seagulls and saw more lanterns in the far distance. Gathering my kimono, I came to Sengoku Ochaya and after quietly entering in I saw a small library of scrolls; Others headed upstairs to the upper level of the building.  Following slowly behind, I climbed the stairs and I kept going up. 


There I saw Okamisan kneeling as she greeted each visitor.  I did my best not to distract her since I knew her attention was on the guests.  Either way I smiled and respectfully bowed to her. Sneaking behind the many guests as each was sitting down at the tables near the wide stage and spotting a free cushion next to an elegant geisha I sat down.



The guests were sitting comfortably on their cushions and the lanterns’ glow flickered brightly into the night as Okamisan began preparing for the performance. The shinzo was dressed in splendid kimono with her long sleeves flowing and Okamisan began to speak as she as was playing her shamisen.  Okamisan started with explaining what the meaning of Bon was an occassion for greeting and holding memorial services of those that departed ancestors.  On Bon the souls are released from Yomi, the land of the dead.  Our beloved descendants are able to come back to visit as they eat.  It made me wonder what the ancestors ate. Only shaking the thought off my eyes returned back to the stage. 



The lovely shinzo was dancing as Okamisan went on to tell a story related to the meaning of Obon.  It was one of a distraught mother as she didn't want her daughter to live a life that she had in her past; the tale had a joyful ending though.  As it was coming to an end Okamisan gave a thankful bow to everyone for listening to the tale. I applauded for the music, the dance and storytelling and everyone was cheering for Okamisan and the shinzo. 



She and the shinzo turned to put things away.  Waiting until all had left she came over to me smiling.  Bowing in respect to her and she turned to the geisha that was sitting next to me, who smiled bowing respectfully to Okamisan.  A bit embarrassed that I did not know, but Okamisan introduced to me her as the most senior furisode shinzo, Rinya-san.  Wincing my eyes closed, I bowed to Rinya-san and smiling Rinya-san bowed back to me.  This was the third person I met from the Yukaku Ryukin.  



So thus this concludes my long adventurous day throughout Bon Odori.

Thinking of all the friends I made this week, some are really interested in and share the same fondness I have for the Japanese culture. I do have respect for many cultures even though my heritage is not of theirs.  Still, SL has provided me this chance to be who I want to be.  I enjoy doing so many wonderful things in SL and never once have I ever regretted it.


~Ame chan.

No comments:

Post a Comment